Friday, May 17, 2013

Golden Week - Part 3 (Cat Cafe, Cooking Class)

Finally, during Golden Week, I did two new activities:  I visited a Cat Cafe (猫かフェ)
and I went to a multi-lingual Cooking Class.

4.  Cat Cafe (猫カフェ - Neko Cafe)For a small fee, you can purchase time to spend with many cats in a cafe.  You can also enjoy coffee or a small snack while playing with the cats.  I went to one near Yokohama, in a bit of a "sketchy" area.  I walked about 15-20 minutes from the station - which I later learned is too far to walk into any sort of "safe" area.  Oh well... I made it back okay and will go somewhere new next time.  I love cats so I'll definitely visit another Cat Cafe. 

Sign out - We found the place finally.  The streets were a bit creepy.

Neat stairway to get to the cafe on the 2nd floor.

Just before food time - the cafe manager had to put some greedy cats in their cages for a bit.
Food time!  The kitties were so excited and swarmed around the manager.

The cats are freely roaming in this room.





A particularly chunky kitty with short legs.

Cool kitty stretched out in the corner.








Cute little figurines.
I had a matcha (green tea) latte - yummy.  Loved the cat-spoon too.


5.  Cooking Class:  I joined a Meetup group in Tokyo which hosts cooking classes - held in both Japanese and English.  I figured it to be a good way to learn to cook Japanese food, and also meet new people.  This class was about 3 hours long and we cooked a salad, a soup, and a main dish.  It was more a "fusion" menu as none of the recipes were truly Japanese.

From the top left (clockwise):  Japanese-style Pot-au-feu (soup), Spring Salad with Strawberry Dressing, and Omuraisu (Omelet over Tomato-Chicken fried rice).
Our instructor.




Class picture - there were about 25 people, a mix of foreigners and Japanese.

I've made the soup at home a time or two already and it turned out well.  It's very simple and nutritious.  I'm still debating on the omuraisu since it makes a lot and I'm only cooking for one person.  I may make it and freeze the rice in small portions... we'll see.

The next cooking class is in June and we'll be using Amazake (sweet sake).  I really enjoyed meeting new people and hearing how other foreigners are living/working in Japan.  Also, it's good practice to learn some food- and cooking-related words in Japanese.  I even found a language partner there to practice Japanese with. :)

Let me know if you are interested in any of the recipes.  I can post them or send them to you if you'd like. 

1 comment:

  1. I love the cat cafe idea :)! They should do a similar concept here in the US! Ah, you are learning some japanese cooking! I hope you'll learn how to make a Taiyaki or Dorayaki one of these days :)! I would love to try those!

    ReplyDelete

Comments: