Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Weathering the Typhoons

We're on typhoon #26, I think.  Rather than naming them, Japan keeps track of the typhoons each year by merely counting them.  A simple and undecorated approach.

Right now, the rain is pounding down and the wind howling ominously outside. The warnings for this typhoon began in the late afternoon, and by 7pm, our head office was sending out alerts to go home ASAP once closing time hit.  We provided warnings to our students as well and were advised to exercise caution due to the typhoon.  We haven't had one quite this strong for a while.

The number #26 sounds worrisome, but while 26 typhoons have hit Japan this year, this doesn't mean every single one came to the Kanagawa area.  They all vary in strength as well.  I think roughly half have reached Kanagawa this year and only half of those have been truly strong.  Tonight's is particularly bad.  

The clouds have been rolling for the last few days, but it hit us today and should continue for another day (maybe two).



I left work within 10 minutes of closing, as advised.  Armed with rain boots, my scarf, and a large umbrella, I began to battle the wind and rain home.  

Within 5 minutes of my walk, my umbrella was destroyed.  The wind blew it inside out - kinda like what you see in movies and wonder if it would ever happen to you.  Yeah, well, it happened to me tonight.  I was barely a third of the way home and kept thinking - oh crap! I debated detouring to a convenient store to buy a new umbrella or just roughing it home.  My umbrella was a wreck and yet, I thought, maybe it won't be so bad if I hurry home.  

I wrapped my scarf around my head and used the umbrella to at least protect my head and neck area.  My clothes quickly became soaked... definitely can't wear this suit for a few days while it dries.  I tried to rush, but ended up missing a cross-signal and stuck at a corner huddling under a tree until the signal changed.  The wind had blown my scarf and hair around a bunch by then and I felt like a particularly drowned rat.  I felt like I really understood the expression of a "drowned rat" tonight.  


I was so happy to finally get inside.  Above here is the remains of my umbrella and my quickly kicked-off rain boots.  My bag was wet as well, including my cell phone which was tucked in the side.  I regret not moving it to a better location before I left, but it turned out okay.  My phone was not damaged luckily enough.  I jumped right away into a hot shower and bundled up in many layers, socks, and sweater to prevent the onset of a cold.  I hope I don't wake up with the beginnings of it tomorrow!

We also were advised for tomorrow as the typhoon might get worse by then.  Our head office warned us to plan and allot more time to get to work on time, especially those who take the trains.  Trains sometimes shut down if the weather is too bad.  Furthermore, if the weather persists, we are going to cancel classes - we are still at the office, but we will call students to tell them to stay home and reschedule instead.  It's a unique system, but definitely needed in this sort of weather where it's dangerous to be outside.  Students will often cancel their class rather than come - more than half of my students didn't come to class tonight.  I wonder how tomorrow will turn out... 

For now, I'm hunkering down under blankets and watching some shows before I sleep, listening to the downpour of rain and wind outside.   Good night!

3 comments:

  1. Stay safe Heather! Those rain clouds look worrisome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I'm okay. I woke up today and the storm has calmed down. The winds are still beating against the windows, but at least the rain has disappeared. I saw that this typhoon (Wipha) is actually a "once-in-a-decade" event here. Many flights have been cancelled and trains shut down. I hope it only blows over soon...

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Heather. Your blog does a great job illustrating what it's like in Japan. Loved the shot of the umbrella :-) 26 typhoons. Yuk!

    ReplyDelete

Comments: