Sunday, March 31, 2013

Beautiful Cherry Blossoms (桜、さくら)

It's cherry blossom (さくら)season here in Japan.  I knew they would be beautiful, but it's something else to walk under the pink and white trees with petals falling in the breeze.

Most people don't realize, but cherry blossom season is actually quite short.  The trees begin blooming around mid-end March and only last 2-3 weeks before the petal fall from the branches.  News programs will even advise the public to go see them "while they last."  


I had some trouble in the past few weekends - first with my computer and then needing to work on Sunday - so I didn't get around to viewing the cherry blossoms until yesterday.  It is on the tail end of the season, but I was pleased to see some great scenes.  

My students recommended I visit Hikichi-gawa (引地川), a river located on the west side of my town, where cherry blossom trees lined the river walkway.  I am so glad they told me about it... and I'm not sure how I'd missed this area before now.  It will definitely be a favorite walkway of mine in the next year.

Tree-lined walkway on a one-way street.
Many trees along the river.
They really reached over the river.
Cherry blossoms - up close!
Petals already fallen to the ground - pretty in its own way.
Road walked upon - will definitely revisit for future exercise.
Loved the tri-color trees side-by-side.

Picturesque - both beautiful and peaceful to experience.

More pictures can be found here.

4 comments:

  1. they look so pretty!!! your picture taking is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the cherry blossom pictures. Its too bad they are only in season for such short period of time :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pictures from this and your temple visit day. As I was checking out your latest post, I revisited these great cherry blossom shots. It occurred to me that this compliments very well your blog/experience theme: blossom. Was that on purpose? Probably was, and I just didn't notice at first--very fitting entry.

    Looks like you're having a great experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is seriously a once in a lifetime experience! Like you said, cherry blossoms don't last that long in Japan so the fact that you were able to be there for this season is so great! Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Comments: