Thursday, March 7, 2013

A Day near Sakuragichō Station, Yokohama (横浜市、桜木町駅)

This past weekend, I went to Sakuragichō station in Yokohama with some friends.  Sakuragichō station is a fun place to visit as it's near the harbor and it has lots of shopping and activities.  When I mentioned to my co-worker I'd be going, he thought I was going on a date....  Unfortunately no, but apparently, Sakuragichō is also a popular place to go on a date. 

Here are some highlights of the trip:

1. Cosmo Clock - This is one of the tallest Ferris wheels in Japan, reaching 112.5m (369ft) in height. We boarded the regular car (bypassing the clear one, where you can see 360 degrees - that was too scary for me).  The entire ride takes about 15 minutes and shows some great views of the surrounding area.  The Ferris wheel also features the world's largest clock (according to wiki) on the side.  


2.  World Porters - This is a giant mall-like place, with shopping, a couple cinemas, and restaurants.  There are also street artists and gaming areas.  It was a neat place, and the first place we found some pearl milk tea - yay!  We first had lunch at a Japanese buffet restaurant; it was so good!  I think the place was called ハーベスト (Harvest), located on the 4th or 5th floor.  I highly recommend it.  If it wasn't on the higher end of my standard cost for a meal, then I'd go there once a month.

Artist's Alley area - very picturesque; felt like I was in SF again.
Only Japan would have a claw game where you had to grab a piece of cake, rather than a plushie.
Neat turning ice cream container.  It kept spinning until an order came up.
These looked so yummy - must go back to try one:  a Taiyaki ice cream.  Taiyaki is kinda like pancake/waffle bread.

3.  Cup Noodles Museum - We didn't spend more than 5 minutes here.  We went inside, but learned it wasn't more than looking at some history and then having someone else make you a custom cup noodles. You didn't make anything yourself...  So, we decided to pass and move on.

 
4.  Landmark Tower - One of the tallest buildings in Japan, standing at 296.3m (972ft) high.  We just walked by and passed on riding up the elevator to the observation deck. 


5.  Shopping and Street Performers:  We went in one mall as my friend was on a mission to buy some Pokemon gifts for his friends back home.  If you think malls in America are big, Japan definitely tops it (in my opinion).  They are huge... 5 or 6 floors is normal.  I don't think you could finish at looking through things in one trip.  It might take a few days to go through the malls here.  Everything is very clean though and the shops varied.

Outside the mall, we came across some street performers.  I wish I had thought to film them because the tricks were really neat.  They juggled these boxes and some flame sticks around.  I can't explain it, but it was awesome.



Overall, it was an enjoyable day!  I will definitely be returning to Sakuragichō area in the coming months.  I bet it will be even more beautiful once spring hits and the flowers are blooming everywhere.

Full set of pics can be found here.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! you had a busy day. But the sites you and friends saw, look awesome, Maybe you and I can go back to World Porters and visit. Sounds like a neat place...5-6 floors..much bigger mall than in USA
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics, heather! Thanks for sharing. I like the ice cream in the big spin. Was it good? How are you adapting the life in Japan? Cherry blossom will be there soon. Can't wait to see your pics!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments: