Saturday, April 27, 2013

JLPT N4 Passed!

Good news!  I passed the JLPT N4 exam!  

Note:  JLPT = Japanese Language Proficiency Test.


My mother sent me a care package from the U.S. and included in it some mail I'd received while I was away.  Among various items was my notice that I'd passed the JLPT exam I took back in December.  

For any that remember, I took the exam in early December shortly after I'd received my job offer to come to Japan.  I was stressing out about the decision to leave my job and country behind for this experience.  I hadn't studied at all due to the stress and also the past 2 months preparation for the interview process at my new company in Japan.  I remember asking a few friends if I should even attend the exam.  I hadn't opened a book or looked at a Japanese kanji in weeks.  I wasn't that hopeful that I would pass...

Thinking "why not," and "might as well," I decided to make the trek up to San Francisco for the exam.  The weather seemed to be against me as well as I recall there was a severe rainstorm and driving conditions were very poor.  This didn't improve my mood regarding the decision either... especially when I got lost in SF on my way.  

Anyways, I took the exam that day and 4 hours later, I had mixed thoughts on whether I passed.  Some parts were very easy (listening!) and others were more difficult.  I debated about certain kanji I couldn't recall during the test and remember looking up some words when I got home to see if I was right or not on the exam.  

The exam consisted of several testlets which focused on grading (1) Language Knowledge (vocabulary, grammar, reading) and (2) Listening skills:

Language Knowledge:  58/120  - Ouch, I know.  Not my strong area, but I knew this already.  I know a lot of vocabulary, but struggle with the grammatical struggle which is so different from English.  

Listening:  60/60  - As I expected, I did awesome in Listening!  I feel this is accountable to the many hours I've spent watching Japanese dramas, movies, anime and listening to Arashi over the years.  

The combined score let me pass, but it was a close one... definitely need to study more!

The JLPT has 5 levels, ranging from N1 (Fluent, Advanced) to N5 (Beginner).  The N4 level I took was equivalent to "Advanced Beginner."  I can't put it on a resume yet or use it for a job, but it's a start.  I think I need N3 (Intermediate) at a minimum to show qualification to use Japanese in the workplace.  

I hope to take the N3 exam either in July or later this year.  We'll see how it goes... wish me luck!     

2 comments:

  1. Congrats for passing Heather! Sorry it has been a while since I commented on your post but I read every single one of them as they come through my email. I have confidence that you will reach intermediate level in no time at all, especially as you continue living there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on passing the test :). That's so awesome!! Good luck for the N3 exam!

    ReplyDelete

Comments: